Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
NFL85.com Message Forum • View topic - The Softer Side of Ed Hochuli
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Articles/Videos/Photos

Post subject: The Softer Side of Ed Hochuli
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:15 pm 

Sorry girls no photos of Ed with his shirt off but here's one showing his real strength and humanity.

That's all!

Attachments:
File comment: The softer side of Ed Hochuli
E&C -DC2.jpg
E&C -DC2.jpg [ 11.54 KiB | Viewed 4165 times ]

Post subject: Re: The Softer Side of Ed Hochuli
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:29 am 

I believe that Ed shows the type of person he is by coming on here and answering questions we have. I do not see any other official taking time out of their schedule to answer questions the fans have. Also, after the mistake in Denver Ed took the time to answer e-mails that fans sent him what other official would do that?

Chris

Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:55 pm 

You are correct on that statement, cball. There are no sports officials who would take time to respond to fans' notes. However, even though Ed was big enough to "man up" on the Chargers' call and even take the heat for the Saints' loss, surprisingly, he is still getting hate mail from fans and because of the onslaught of those threatenting e-mails he has received, he, and no one can blame him on this, will probably be less inclined to answer many more e-mails from fans. This is the unfortunate thing, in his effort to be human he gets treated poorly with threats and bad name calling, it escalates and the positive supporters get overlooked. Tsk tsk tsk it's a shame that people have to be so ugly sometimes.

That's all!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:39 pm 

Cat you mentioned the facemask call that was not his to make he is responisble for the QB and this was not mentioned but a couple of weeks ago the RTP call on Peppers in Carolina even Mike Pereira said that was the correct call. in my opinion the only call that was NFL85's to make was in the San Diego/Denver game.

Chris

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:05 am 

With my limited knowledge and from conversations with Ed, I believe you would be correct. Thanks for your continued support.

That's all!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:45 am 

Cat you may want to double check this but I believe NFL85's responsibility is the QB. If it was Drew Bree's facemask then yes that would be his call, but since it was Reggie Bush then it would not have been his call.

Chris

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:29 am 

Truthfully Cball (keep this on the DL) I'm not even a football fan, I'm a baseball fan and a teen/wellness coach. Thus my limited knowledge to anything around facemasks and whose call it is or isn't. However, it sounds to me like you are very knowledgeable and have answered your own inquiry. I would gladly check with Ed to confirm however, he has moved on and I don't feel further discussion would matter at this point. Would it? If there is a need to know I'll bet you can find your answers through the NFL Networks website in their rulebook subsection.

Again - your positive comments and support for Ed are appreciated.

That's all!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:37 pm 

I will always support NFL85 he is the greatest official I have ever seen and hopefully he will work a Dallas Cowboys game this season. So Cat you are a baseball fan who do you have winning the World Series?

Chris

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:04 pm 

Well since my bid for the Mets, for a second consecutive time, has been lost and since my hopes that the Cubs would make it past the first round have also disappeared, I will go with the Dodgers for a couple of reasons. First, Ed is a Joe Torre fan and since my loyalty is first to Ed I will go with his reasoning. I agree with Ed, it would be the quintessential moment in baseball to see Torre win at the helm of a team other than the Yankees (apologies to all you Yankee fans out there). Secondly, my allegiance to the Dodgers stems from my childhood. I grew up in Santa Fe New Mexico (an hour's drive north of Albuquerque). And, when I was a kid (along with my 5 siblings) my uncle would take us to see the Albuquerque Dukes. If you know baseball, you know that the Dukes, now the Isotopes, were the farm team for Los Angeles. There you have it a small bit of history about me and the reason for my interest in the Dodgers and my passion for baseball.

That's all!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:16 pm 

If the dodgers lose what about the Rays they are a great story. I hate the Yankees and it makes me happy to see them not in the playoffs, because you are right Torre was done wrong by the NYY.

Chris

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:56 pm 

cball1985 wrote:
Cat you may want to double check this but I believe NFL85's responsibility is the QB. If it was Drew Bree's facemask then yes that would be his call, but since it was Reggie Bush then it would not have been his call.

Hi Chris & Cat,

NFL Rules Digest info On Referee's insight in a Game:

Digest of Rules Main

Digest of Rules

OFFICIALS' JURISDICTIONS, POSITIONS, AND DUTIES

Referee—General oversight and control of game. Gives signals for all fouls and is final authority for rule interpretations. Takes a position in backfield 10 to 12 yards behind line of scrimmage, favors right side (if quarterback is right-handed passer). Determines legality of snap, observes deep back(s) for legal motion. On running play, observes quarterback during and after handoff, remains with him until action has cleared away, then proceeds downfield, checking on runner and contact behind him. When runner is downed, Referee determines forward progress from wing official and, if necessary, adjusts final position of ball.

On pass plays, drops back as quarterback begins to fade back, picks up legality of blocks by near linemen. Changes to complete concentration on quarterback as defenders approach. Primarily responsible to rule on possible roughing action on passer and if ball becomes loose, rules whether ball is free on a fumble or dead on an incomplete pass.

During kicking situations, Referee has primary responsibility to rule on kicker’s actions and whether or not any subsequent contact by a defender is legal. The Referee stays wide and parallel on punts and will announce on the microphone when each period has ended.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:13 pm 

Cat do you have a bigger picture?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:17 am 

Here you go!

Attachment:
E&C - DC2.jpg
E&C - DC2.jpg [ 191.3 KiB | Viewed 3890 times ]

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:24 am 

Chris

I agree the Rays are a Cinderalla story for a small market team they have played their hearts out and deserve to be where they are. Ed is now faltering on his loyalty to Torre because he remembered he doesn't like Mannie Ramirez and the attitude he brings to the game. I'm still going with the Dodgers - Ed wants the D'backs to win. What a funny guy!

That's all!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:48 pm 

Manny is a good guy to root againist, but he is kind of like T.O. so being a die hard Dallas fan I am use to guys like him. I am rooting for the Rays personally because I love the good story. Josh Hamilton had a great season down here in Texas and I am hoping he wins the AL MVP, but I doubt he will. As for the Dodgers having to play Hamels tonight and then if they get by that a cross country trip to Philly having to win both it does not look good.

Becky, thanks for that info :).

Chris

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Articles/Videos/Photos