Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Everything Else » Tailgating Area

Post subject: Do You Officiate Any Sports?
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:54 am 

I know we've got a fellow who worked in the CFL (or still does?). Does anyone else officiate sports, esp. football, at any level anywhere? (I do 4 HS sports, including football).

Post subject: SHHHH!
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:11 am 

(tumbling tumbleweeds blowing through... 8) ).

Post subject: Curious
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:45 pm 

To me, officiating is/was just like HS. I'm a 4-letter man.

Locally, we sure are getting a lot of cops doing football anymore. And some of them I reffed in a city-league about 15 years ago with their PD team, one of them in particular I recognize now as the captain and QB...and a bigger bunch of babies and whiners I've rarely seen. Not all of them, certainly, but those who were didn't hold back! And, this guy, who's now a sergeant, was one of the worst. Seems very nice in person now. Should be interesting to work with him.
8) The other side of the tracks can definitely raise one's awareness.

Post subject: Re: Do You Officiate Any Sports?
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:20 am 

I have been reffing high school football in MN IA and once in a great while SD for 7 years now. Usually work as line judge now, but started as a back judge and still go back there occasionally depending on how our schedule works out with our two+ crews in our association.

Its a lot of fun.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:31 pm 

I work as a basketball offcial for the YMCA, they send me out to do games. I started their when I was 14 doing baseball then since I play basketball my boss asked me if I would have interest in offciating it and have done it ever since. This does not count to me but for two years while in college @ Texas Tech I worked as a BJ doing intramural games that was fun and I met alot of nice people.

Chris

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:51 pm 

I officiated 7th/8th grade basketball for about 5 years while I was coaching at the 9th grade level/ Nothing "official," just our HS league's feeder school program. Mostly HS coaches reffing along with some of the more mentally savvy varsity players. I must profess that officiating has made me be a better coach, in how I see the game and I became a much calmer person on the sideline. I'm probably going to go back to that this winter since I'll be back coaching at 9th grade. Didn't think it was fair to ref the 8th grade league while I was coaching in it the last 2 years :lol:

Also have officiated a local elementary school rugby league as a favor to a friend, even though I had zero exposure to the sport before 2/07. We're learning and looking forward to next spring's season.

And starting October 4th, I'm officiating the elementary school Flag Football League for the first time. I'm very excited to get that going.

Board index » Everything Else » Tailgating Area