Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
NFL85.com Message Forum • View topic - Bill Vinovich
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Everything Football » NFL Talk

Post subject: Bill Vinovich
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:16 pm 

Does anyone know why Bill Vinovich retired prior to the start of last season (leading to the promotion of #132 John Parry)? I think I heard something about health problems but I'm not 100% certain...is he still involved in the NFL?

Thanks!

Soxfan :)

Post subject: Re: Bill Vinovich
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:30 pm 

Bullseye wrote:
Does anyone know why Bill Vinovich retired prior to the start of last season (leading to the promotion of #132 John Parry)? I think I heard something about health problems but I'm not 100% certain...is he still involved in the NFL?

Thanks!

Soxfan :)

Hi Bullseye,

Bill Vinovich had a Heart Condition & it took him off the field in 2007. At that time -- Ed Hochuli lobbied hard to get him on this Crew as a Replay Booth Guy during the 2007 Season.

If I am correct,,,,, in 2008 Bill Vinovich is working in the NCAA System again.

Becky

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

I do believe, if memory serves, Bill Vinovich retired due to health issues.

He is currently working as an Observer/Trainer for NFL Officials.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:34 pm 

Scott wrote:
I do believe, if memory serves, Bill Vinovich retired due to health issues.

He is currently working as an Observer/Trainer for NFL Officials.

Hi Scott,

That is right.... :wink: :)

Becky

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:36 pm 

Thanks! It's always unfortunate when something like that happens (same can be said for Johnny Grier), but I guess injuries and conditions are just a part of life, not only for officials, but for everyone. It's good to see that he's still involved with the NFL in another role.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:23 pm 

Why injured offcials are being brought up does anyone know why Mike Carey did not do his scheduled game last week (Ten@Cin)? I hpope it is not an injury maybe they were just trying to get Riveron work since he filled in for Carey.

Chris

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:28 pm 

cball1985 wrote:
Why injured offcials are being brought up does anyone know why Mike Carey did not do his scheduled game last week (Ten@Cin)? I hpope it is not an injury maybe they were just trying to get Riveron work since he filled in for Carey.

Hi Chris,

Scott,,,, mentioned in another post that the only info he has is that Mike Carey has an injury. I hope this helps.

Becky

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:44 pm 

Well it helps but that is sad Mike is in the top 3 of offcials, I wish him a speedy recovery and hope to see him back on the field really soon.

Chris

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:47 pm 

It's definitely happened in the past...I think Bill Leavy was out for a few weeks last season, to the point where Bill Carrollo set a record by refereeing a game with the same team (I think the Bills) for two weeks in a row. And if my memory serves me correctly, Gene Steratore took over for Bernie Kukar (one of my favorite referees apart from E.H. for his booming voice and serious, convincing manner of calls) when Kukar was knocked down and forced to go out of the game...perhaps it gave rise to Steratore's promotion!

By the way, not to get off-topic, but does anyone know what Bernie is up to these days, enjoying retirement?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:59 pm 

Bullseye wrote:
It's definitely happened in the past...I think Bill Leavy was out for a few weeks last season, to the point where Bill Carrollo set a record by refereeing a game with the same team (I think the Bills) for two weeks in a row. And if my memory serves me correctly, Gene Steratore took over for Bernie Kukar (one of my favorite referees apart from E.H. for his booming voice and serious, convincing manner of calls) when Kukar was knocked down and forced to go out of the game...perhaps it gave rise to Steratore's promotion!

By the way, not to get off-topic, but does anyone know what Bernie is up to these days, enjoying retirement?

Hi Bullseye,

Yes Bill Leavy had a Torn Meniscus last year. If you go down this page... you see Bill Leavy in the Subject line. It also mentions the other officials too.

Becky

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:01 pm 

You are right I believe Leavy missed a couple of weeks with a knee injury or knee surgery. Mike Carey did Miami and the Jets in Week 1 and i watched the entire game he did not get injured and was not limping or anything like that in the game.

Chris

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:21 pm 

Does anybody know how Vinovich is doing now?
If it was a heart condition how can he be doing NCAA basketball games?
I always thought he did a very nice job.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:57 pm 

Hi Wolves

Bill and Ed are very good friends as you can well imagine. Bill's health is much improved and he has been working in the league office for the past year after working replay on Ed's crew last season. Thank you for your continued support for the team in the middle of it all!

That's all!

Board index » Everything Football » NFL Talk