Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Rules Questions

Post subject: Penalty Scenario
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:49 pm 

My question comes as a result of a situation in the Super Bowl- the last play of the first half where Warner threw the interception that was returned for a touchdown. If I remember correctly there was a personal foul called for a facemask penalty on the Cardinals before the interception was thrown. Regardless of what actually happened, in my scenario, I'm going to assume that the personal foul occurred, the interception was then thrown, and the defense did not return the ball all the way for a touchdown as time ran out in the half.

Normally, a defense just declines an offensive penalty since they obviously prefer taking the interception, but does a personal foul still get tacked on to the end of a play? I know that it would be added on to the end of the run if it was during the interception return or after the play was over, but what if it's before the interception?

My follow up question is somewhat dependent on the answer to that, but does it make a difference if it's at the end of a half and time runs out on the interception return? An offensive team gets one untimed play if the defense commits a penalty, but what happens if it was a change of possession? If the personal foul does get tacked on still, would the intercepting team get that one play even though they were originally the defense...does when the foul happened (before, during, or after the interception) have any bearing on that?

Hope that was clear enough to make sense. I've gotten several differing opinions from people but no one has been completely sure one way or the other yet.

Post subject: Re: Penalty Scenario
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:48 pm 

That's some scenario. :)

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Rules Questions