Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
NFL85.com Message Forum • View topic - Instant Replay reviews
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Rules Questions

Post subject: Instant Replay reviews
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:11 pm 

Dear Ed, Mr Hochuli sir,
Thanks for owning up man, great call to admit a mistake. I have always admired your work on the field. It's easy to tell who the good officials are and you are.
My question has to do with simplicity. I have never liked the way replays are handled. It seems extremely overcomplicated the way things are now. I have always felt that it should be done by another official from the replay booth. The object of instant replay and challenges is to "get it right", right? Well then, why not make it easy to do. If the "Official Replay Official" sees a mistake, why have challenges and all the mystery? It should be this easy: The ORO watches the entire game, whenever he witnesses a clear error, simple call down to the field, hopefully to Ed Hochuli, and tell him what mistake was made. Fix it, then, get ready for some MORE football.! This process should never take more than 30-60 seconds. If that causes accusations of bias, make it an official panel of 3, unanimous votes only, can reverse a call. This method COULD be used on virtually EVERY play. Of course you don't take away officials calls requiring judgement, such as a penalty, but the real easy stuff should be done this way. PLEASE ED? Thanks, FrankLeeScarlett

Post subject: Re: Instant Replay reviews
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:29 pm 

The system you describe is much like the NCAA's current replay system which I think is great.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:39 pm 

BackJudge wrote:
The system you describe is much like the NCAA's current replay system which I think is great.

Even in the NCAA, Coaches can challenge., Not sure at this time how many they have and if it is similiar to the current NFL system.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:53 pm 

FrankLeeScarlett wrote:
Dear Ed, Mr Hochuli sir,
Thanks for owning up man, great call to admit a mistake. I have always admired your work on the field. It's easy to tell who the good officials are and you are.
My question has to do with simplicity. I have never liked the way replays are handled. It seems extremely overcomplicated the way things are now. I have always felt that it should be done by another official from the replay booth. The object of instant replay and challenges is to "get it right", right? Well then, why not make it easy to do. If the "Official Replay Official" sees a mistake, why have challenges and all the mystery? It should be this easy: The ORO watches the entire game, whenever he witnesses a clear error, simple call down to the field, hopefully to Ed Hochuli, and tell him what mistake was made. Fix it, then, get ready for some MORE football.! This process should never take more than 30-60 seconds. If that causes accusations of bias, make it an official panel of 3, unanimous votes only, can reverse a call. This method COULD be used on virtually EVERY play. Of course you don't take away officials calls requiring judgement, such as a penalty, but the real easy stuff should be done this way. PLEASE ED? Thanks, FrankLeeScarlett

When instant replay was first used in the NFL, it was similiar to what you opined for, a official in the booth looked over the play in question and radioed down to confirm or overturn the on field ruling.

The whole problem with the old system was the replay process slowed down the games, ie time consuming.

Since the Ref is the penultimate game official, it should be that person with the power to determine if a on field ruling should be reversed or confirmed, not someone in a booth.

The current system is structured and minimizes time wasted, the current system only allows the upstairs booth to call for a review inside the final 2 minutes of each half and overtime periods. Outside of that, reviews can only be initiated via coaches challenges or by the ref if he needs to verify the spot of the ball etc.

Personally, I would like to see automatic booth called reviews on any turnover call except for obvious fumble recoveries and interceptions, regardless of the time in the game.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:47 pm 

In re to the response about calls coming from a booth. What I am supporting is the obvious. The officials on the field clearly miss an obvious call, no matter what type of call or time in the game. The 2 minute rule and # of challenges is ridiculous if you want a game called correctly. That is my main point, a game should never be decided by a bad call. Limiting a team to 2 reviews might be time saving, but if it costs a team a win, it is simply a lousy way to win. I have heard it said "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't competin'. I for one hate cheating, and don't consider myself a winner if I have to cheat to "win". This time efficiency thi ng could be worked out, IF the NFL really wanted to do it right. Please note, Ed blew another one tonight in New Orleans vs the Vikings. This needs to be fixed for the sake of the game. That is of course, my opinion, which in this instance, I find hard to argue with. (GEEZ that sounds so arrogant, I swear it's not intentional. Thanks for your input though, it's great. Franklee

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Rules Questions