Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Rules Questions

Post subject: Position of Officials
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:55 pm 

Hi Scott,

A question of positions of officials:

1) Is it up to the Head Referee/Official on what side the Head Linesman will stand & the Line Judge will stand?

2) How about the position of the Head Referee/Official. When the quarterback is snapping the ball(Looking @ his backside) is it up to the Head Referee to be to right or to the left of the quarterback? I noticed in an NCAA Game that the Head Referee was on the quarterbacks left side & in the NFL the Head Referee is on the right side.

Sincerely,

Becky

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:18 am 

Becky-

I'm no expert but I would imagine it would be based on the QB's throwing arm. If he's right handed the official would stand to his back left to stay out of the QB's way. The right handed QB naturally runs and throws to the right and not against the grain. Just a guess??? Now you got me watching the position of the official, good question. I'll let Scott know that we need an "official" answer. :?:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:07 am 

Thank you for your questions and interest in officiating; and I certainly appreciate your support. To answer the question about the Referee's position - Scott's right. On normal scrimmage plays, we stand on the QB's throwing arm side. In other words, if he's a right handed QB, we are on his right side. That helps us rule on pass/fumble plays. We are about 12 yards behind the line of scrimmage and about 2 or 3 yards wider than the tackle on that side. Our position varies to some degree depending on the formation.

As for the position of the Head Linesman and Line Judge - they both line up on the line of scrimmage, just out of bounds. They switch sides at halftime, and the Head Linesman picks the side on which he will start. Normally, however, he picks the side that's farthest away from the place we leave the field. That way, when the game ends, he will have switched to the near side, and he can make the quickest exit!

NFL85

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Rules Questions