Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
NFL85.com Message Forum • View topic - Jim Quirk
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Rules Questions

Post subject: Jim Quirk
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:11 pm 

Ed, earlier this week it was announced that the NFL fined Jim one game check $8,150 for what he did to #56 of the Packers. I was watching this game live when it happened and personally did not see anything wrong with what he did. This game is a heated rivalry game, you had already had many little altercations during the game and from what I saw it just looked like JIm was trying to break up another one. Could you explain why the NFl fined him I mean with the crazy winds the wind could have knocked him over or why attempting to break up what was occuring, after having hold of Barnett he could have just lost his balance.

Chris

Post subject: Jim Quirk
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:43 pm 

Jim Quirk is a Fantastic Official :wink: :D

He has been an NFL Official since 1988 & a good one at that. He is noted for his hustle between plays, which results in the length of games being shortened.

I was amazed to read that he is around 67 years of age :wink: :shock: and still going strong at his age. He was a 1st LT in the Army, guard & linebacker @ U. of Delaware and holds a Masters Degree.

He reminds me of Ernie Stautner - Tackle for the Steelers, Dallas Cowboy Assistant Coach from 1966 to 1988.

Ernie Stautner

Last edited by Becky10 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:03 pm 

Becky, Jim also was Umpiring in a palyoff game this weekend as well (Jax Vs. Pitt). So the NFL must agree that he is a great Umpire or he would not have been given a playoff game.

Chris

Post subject: Hi Chris
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:33 pm 

Hi Chris,

Yes I did watch the Jaguars VS Steelers game and noticed that Jim Quirk was the Umpire for the game.

I thought he did very well and also saw him get wiped out too during a play after half-time.

Becky

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:21 pm 

Quirk is definitely one of the best! Quirk and Carl Paganelli are two of my favorites at U. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see Quirk in the Super Bowl.

Ryan

Post subject: Re: Jim Quirk
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:01 am 

cball1985 wrote:
Ed, earlier this week it was announced that the NFL fined Jim one game check $8,150 for what he did to #56 of the Packers. I was watching this game live when it happened and personally did not see anything wrong with what he did. This game is a heated rivalry game, you had already had many little altercations during the game and from what I saw it just looked like JIm was trying to break up another one. Could you explain why the NFl fined him I mean with the crazy winds the wind could have knocked him over or why attempting to break up what was occuring, after having hold of Barnett he could have just lost his balance.

I watched the game, too, and I think that the league "erred" on the side of caution. Refs are under enormous scrutiny, and such physical use of tactics, intentional or otherwise, is a big NO-NO. That's why at the HS level, we're not supposed to even touch them to help them get up off of the ground, and being a nice guy, I always want to do that, but can't. Lawsuits aplenty could result. I'm amazed that some refs, like Ed, help players up all of the time. I admire it, still, but wonder as well at the potential for problems.

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Rules Questions