Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
NFL85.com Message Forum • View topic - Reviewing Pass Interference
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Rules Questions

Post subject: Reviewing Pass Interference
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:30 am 

Ed, I was watching the Cowboys and Panthers game on the NFL network on Saturday and in the Fourth Quarter it appeared that Reeves(#35) of Dallas commited pass interference on the Panthers WR. The announcers on the game were saying that maybe DPI should be reviewable next year, my question is do you feel that DPI should be reviewable or should it not be reviewable because it is such a hard call to make with the offcials running down field and the players running full speed down the field?

P.S. Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas and have a great New Year :D

Chris

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

I would think it would be a very difficult call to replay. I also think it would be very difficult to determine because you could probably call pass interference on every pass play of the game. So, where would it stop? Know what I mean?

If we add too many reviewable things I fear the game would come to a screeching halt with all the challenges and inside 2 minute booth reviews. Plus, there might be an attitude to not make a difficult call and let the booth or coaches call for a review of the play. Obviously, with the athletic ability of the players these days, and all the money involved with TV, sponsors, etc in the NFL there needs to be some sort of replay system to make sure a "HUGE" call isn't wrong, but, I also think there needs to be some sentiment of letting the players play.

Lastly, I try not to listen to the announcers, as they don't know half the rules, or interpretation of the rules, of the league anyway. My .02 :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:05 pm 

That is true Scott some of the announcers are not great. I want to be honest here I am a Cowboys fan, but I do believe that Troy Aikman is a great announcer. He is honest and will tell it like it is and he is not a Cowboys homer on the air. To prove this, while calling the Cowboys Redskins game here in Dallas he said that Clinton Portis was his favorite player. I am not a fan of the announcers on the NFL network, Bryant Gumbel sucks that is the nicest thing I can say about him. Cris Collinsworth is ok and I like that he will leave Gumbel to hang on his dumb statements such as "Marion Barber is the heart and soul of the Green Bay offense." Joe Buck is one of th ebest sports announcers in my opinion I will always watch a game he is calling, as a matter of fact he and Pat Summerall the best ever are the reason I want to become a broadcaster. Bu their is no doubt that #35 of Dallas commited the DPI and after seeing one replay it was clearly a missed call by Mike Carey's crew. I am not saying add challenges just allow a coach to challenge something that clear if they have a challenge and timeout left. They added this year that you could challenge wether or not a player fumbled or was down by contact, Ed had a review like that in the Gree Bay Oakland game where Oakland fumbled but I believe #39 called him down and blew the whistle & and Ed correctly gave the Packers the touchdown.

Chris

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:05 pm 

Scott wrote:
I would think it would be a very difficult call to replay. I also think it would be very difficult to determine because you could probably call pass interference on every pass play of the game. So, where would it stop? Know what I mean?

If we add too many reviewable things I fear the game would come to a screeching halt with all the challenges and inside 2 minute booth reviews. Plus, there might be an attitude to not make a difficult call and let the booth or coaches call for a review of the play. Obviously, with the athletic ability of the players these days, and all the money involved with TV, sponsors, etc in the NFL there needs to be some sort of replay system to make sure a "HUGE" call isn't wrong, but, I also think there needs to be some sentiment of letting the players play.

Lastly, I try not to listen to the announcers, as they don't know half the rules, or interpretation of the rules, of the league anyway. My .02 :)

I agree with Scott's comments here. If pass interference is reviewable, it would open up a can of worms that hasn't been seen in pro sports. This is a judgement call and if you start calling this infraction by the book, then everything has to be called, regardless of what common sense says. This is one area that needs to be left alone. This is not a black and white call like ruling a runner in/out-of-bounds, or in other sports such as baseball where a runner is safe/out, or determining if a shot beat the clock in basketball.

Ryan

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:20 pm 

Collinsworth and Aikman are very good commentators when it comes to breaking down the game of football and they are versed well enough in the rules to sound intelligent. These two guys seem to appreciate learning about the game. That can't be said for a lot of other analysts.

Ryan

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Rules Questions