Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed

Post subject: Football officiating book interview
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:04 pm 

Dear Mr. Hochuli,

First let me submit my thanks for always presenting a positive image, on the field and off. You are a great role model for all aspiring officials and I tremendously appreciate your integrity, dedication to the game, and professionalism portrayed for the ranks of all football officials.

I'm not certain this will get to you quickly but I do believe you will see it eventually. I am a 6-year high school football official in the state of Kentucky. I have also been selected as a potential NAIA alternate official next year marking the first stage of my officiating advancement. I love the avocation and am in the process of writing a book regarding the topic of "moving up, getting noticed, and improving your officiating skills." Title yet to be determined, but I am open for suggestions!

I have an outline I"m willing to share with you if desired, and my intention is to interview several NFL officials (Mike Carey, Bill Leavy, Johnny McGrath and yourself are on my short list), NFL retired (Jerry Markbreit and Bob McGrath - who is my local assigning secretary), several NCAA Div 1 officials and several NCAA Div 1 conference supervisors. I plan to compile the advice and present the summary of these interviews in a book aimed at guys like me who are newer, motivated, agressive officials that want to advance.

I'd like to gain your perspective on what it takes at each level to advance, activities or methodology you'd be willing to share with my readers, as well as a summary of your officiating career. The interview will last approximately one hour and can be conducted via a teleconference at a date/time of your chosing if you would be so gracious to consider the interview. I can provide the interview questions in advance for adequate preparation and wish to conduct this interview within the next 3-4 weeks. My goal is to have all interviews complete by January.

If you are interested in contributing to this work, please feel free to contact me via email. I will happily provide my contact information if you or your representative replies to my email address. Should you wish to validate the legitimacy of this work, feel free to contact Bob McGrath or Mike Carey; both of whom are aware of my intentions and will also be contributors to the book.

I thank you for reading this far and do hope you will consider the interview. There are literally thousands of us aspiring officials that wish to learn from the best. You easily fit in that classification, and my book can only be better for it.

Warmest regards,
Todd Skaggs
Louisville, KY
toddskaggs@gmail.com

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed