Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
NFL85.com Message Forum • View topic - How do they decide which ref works which game?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed

Post subject: How do they decide which ref works which game?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:33 pm 

Hey - I'm relatively new to this board. Like most, I heard about it after the Denver-SD game. I'm a huge NFL fan and have seen Ed many times in person and on TV. Overall, I agree with the sentiment of this board that he's a very good ref. Where I disagree with some posters here is when they whine about how Ed's mistakes seem to get more coverage that other's. I agree that they do, but I've also observed that Ed likes teh spotlight. Not many officials in any sport have SI articles written about them or websites devoted to them. Hey - if you like teh spotlight (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that), you do need to take teh good with the bad. I think Ed's done a better job of that than some of his fans!

Anyway - here's my question. I hope that Scott or somebody on this board knows the answer. As one of the NFL's premier refs, Ed had what I assume is the honor of officiating the opening game of the season - Giants-Skins in prime time. He then had a Sunday doubleheader game (infamous Denver-SD game) followed by another doubleheader game (Balt-Clev which at the time seemed like a big game). After that, he had a huge Atl-Carolina game (both were 2-1), followed by a Monday Night Football game. The MNF game in Week 5 brought more controversy to Ed. That was twice in the first 5 weeks of the season.

Since that week, Ed has had all 1:00 games, most of them with at least 1 lousy team (Mia-Hou, Pitt-Cincy, TB-KC, Tenn-Bears, Oak-Mia, Hou-Clev). Only once (Tenn-Chi, has he had a game with 2 potential playoff teams. My question is "How does the NFL determine who refs which games?" Is the league intentionally keeping Ed out of nationally televised games? Do refs have anything in their contracts which guatentees them a certain amount of national games (In that case, maybe NY-Wash and Mn-NO were his quota)? What's the story? Thanks...

Post subject: Re: How do they decide which ref works which game?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:43 pm 

Hi nhbchs243,

The NFL Officiating Crew Schedules are set randomly by computer. Also,,, each crew has members from different parts of the country and they pretty much can go national. Or better yet each team can have the same access to each crew and go anywhere in the Country.

Becky

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:54 pm 

Thanks! Random selection makes sense, but don't they have some criteria where a ref can't have the same team more than two or three times a year?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:04 pm 

nhbchs243 wrote:
Thanks! Random selection makes sense, but don't they have some criteria where a ref can't have the same team more than two or three times a year?

Hi again nhbchs243,

Yes that is suppose to be the criteria... but last year Ed Hochuli had the San Diego Chargers:

Week #2 2007 - Chargers VS Patriots
Week #13 2007 - Chargers VS Chiefs
Wildcard Game 2007/2008 - Titans VS Chargers

Ed Hochuli in 2008 has already worked 3 Texan Games

Preseason - WK #4 - Bucs VS Texans
Reg. Season WK #6 - Dolphins VS Texans
Reg. Season WK #12 - Texans VS Browns

This year I read where CBall(poster on this site) from this site mentioned that NFL Referee John Parry has done 2 Jacksonville Jaguar home games - WK #4 2008 & WK # 12 2008.

So not sure what has happened in that case. Maybe someone else can put their 2 Cents worth into this question/questions.

Becky

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:06 pm 

It's possible they could have been subbing for other referees. I think Bill Carrollo set a record by being the first referee to work a game with the same team for two weeks in a row (Bills, with him covering for Bill Leavy one of the weeks). When I watch games I try to match up the referee and the umpire; if they do match up (i.e. 85 and 31), I assume the referee is working with his regular crew; however, if it doesn't match up (i.e. 85 and 49, 40, or 5), I would assume that either the ref is subbing or the umpire is subbing, although one is a swing (115). Would this make sense?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:03 pm 

Walt Anderson worked two Cowboys home games last year (Washington & STL). I do not know if this enters into the comuters or not, but since the "Tuck Rule" game Coleman has not worked a Raiders game home or away.

Chris

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed