Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed

Post subject: NFL will you PLEASE get smart and make everything reviewable
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:44 am 

I'm guessing Ed chose to let the Bush fumble stand because of the BONEHEADED (and often open to game situation interpretation by refs) rules that govern instant replay. Whether there is a clear rule that a facemask penalty is not reviewable, I don't know. Probably that's the case. Regardless, there is so much wiggle room when these complicated combinations (fumble caused by a facemask) arise. We've all seen unforeseen and complicated situations, and on rare occasion, I believe we've actually seen some refs step up and take matters into their own hands, in order to get the call correct and let justice be served.
However, last night, I think Ed erred on the side of caution, not even "going there".... not addressing the facemask Greenway put on Reggie Bush. He probably should have explained that part of the call (or non-call), or at least tried to explain it.... but I'm guessing even he was perplexed by the complexity of the combination.
What it really comes down to is INSTANT REPLAY OUGHT TO BE USED TO GET THE CALL RIGHT. Instead, the NFL continues to hamstring the entire replay system with a slew of "non-reviewable" calls. Reeeeeal smart.

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed