Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
NFL85.com Message Forum • View topic - Do the right thing and resign
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed

Post subject: Do the right thing and resign
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:44 am 

Mr Hochuli,

There was a time when I considered you the best in the business, bar none. I can no longer say this because it is no longer true. You job as an official is not to affect the outcome of the games. Yet, again, you and your crew have. The ineptness shown in front of a national television audience, and in front of a sold out Louisiana Superdome on Monday night, substantiates the fact that you have lost control of what exactly your mission on the field is. Blatant no calls, subjective holding calls, etcetera take the game out of the players hands and put it the pockets of you and your colleagues. It is obvious that you believe that if you "explain it" in very proper and descriptive english that you can make a case for always being right. Mr Hochuli, you are WRONG. A fumble is a fumble, a facemask is a facemask. I wonder if you make the same mistakes in your REAL profession, as an attorney, or do you tend to do a better job where it really affects your pocketbook? But taking an objective look at it, if you can't make better judgment calls on the field, I believe it is time for you to resign immediately. For the sake of the NFL, and in particular, the fans of the New Orleans Saints and the San Diego Chargers. So far....

Post subject: Re: time for you to retire from football
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:49 am 

From a (somewhat) objective standpoint, in looking at that picture, how can Ed possibly see the facemask being grabbed? His line of vision appears to be to the _back_ of the player being grabbed, thus it should be another official's (umpire's?) position to call that penalty. The defender could have been grabbing the top of the runner's jersey, but unless Ed can positively see that the defender's hand was in the runner's facemask--CLEARLY see--it's generally not his call to make.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:05 pm 

Becky10 - - As a Saints fan, yes, their poor play deserves the majority of the credit for the loss, no doubt about it. You're actually leaving out that they were penalized for over 100 yards!! However, I am not going to ignore the fact that there were three calls that I feel were incorrect and affected the outcome of the game. The facemask, the Peterson fumble, and the DB from theVikings leading with the helmet in the 4th Quarter and nearly knocking out the Saints' TE. You seem to think that Hochuli and his crew didn't make any mistakes in last nights game, not to mention the game they already botched in Denver. That is two our of five weeks that the calls they have made, or not made I should say, have had significant impacts on the outcome of the games they have been officiating...that you cannot deny, and if you do you're living in "Hoculi Fandum".

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:39 pm 

Collin in the Denver game he says he got the call wrong what else can he do he made a mistake and admitted it, the rules the NFL has in place does not allow Ed to fix his mistake. In the New Orleans game the facemask was not his call Ed is responsible for the QB. Collin blame the NFL we could all see there was a facemask why isn't that reviewable? I do not blame Ed because the rules the NFL has in place prohibit me from doing so. If it was reviewed and no facemask flag was thrown ok then I put the blame on Ed.

Chris

Post subject: I don't understand why we compare ref mistakes to player mis
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:06 pm 

The player mistakes are often caused by the other team.

Who causes the ref mistakes.

Ed was not at fault on the face mask, except when the coach told him to check with the officials he only checked about an illegal forward pass. That was the time Ed could have confirmed there was no face mask, as Payton was on his case assuring him there was one. Would have taken no time to ask the other officials if they were sure. I am not sure which one it was, but either the headlinesmen, or the line judge simply screwed up royally. Not Ed.

Unlike the Charger game, this play ended up not be critical to the outcome. The Saints were their own worse enemies.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:09 pm 

Bullseye wrote:
From a (somewhat) objective standpoint, in looking at that picture, how can Ed possibly see the facemask being grabbed? His line of vision appears to be to the _back_ of the player being grabbed, thus it should be another official's (umpire's?) position to call that penalty. The defender could have been grabbing the top of the runner's jersey, but unless Ed can positively see that the defender's hand was in the runner's facemask--CLEARLY see--it's generally not his call to make.

The picture shows the angle. However his head turned so much looking at the picture I would think it impossible for Ed to miss that unless he turned his head the moment after that to look as something else. he would not see the grasp, but would see the twist.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:00 pm 

woodyrebel wrote:
With the year you are having it may be time to see your private eye doctor or retire.

Go Saints

Yep, it is Eds fault that the Vikings blocked that Field Goal Attempt and returned it for a TD!!!!!

A loss is never the losing teams fault, right?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:07 pm 

Would someone explain how the missed field goals are Ed's fault? As for the Peterson fumble to me it looked like a fumble, but I am not an NFL official.

Chris

Post Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:05 am 

As a Saints fan, I freely admit that the team had too many mistakes which contributed to the loss. However, it is up to the players, not the officials, to decide the outcome of the game, and anyone who claims that Hochuli and his crew did not affect the outcome of the game simply doesn't know football. The facemask non-call was a critical error. Regardless of what Hochuli was "supposed" to be looking at, the picture shows that he was looking straight at Reggie when his facemask was grabbed and his head turned. If not him, the line judge had an unobstructed view of the play. I was at the game, and though I was much farther from the action than the official, I knew immediately that there was a facemask. Heck, 70,000 people in the Dome saw the facemask, but the "professionals" whose job it is to make the call missed it? That's inexcusable. The infraction allowed the LB to punch the ball away from Reggie. If the proper call is made, the Saints are around the 20 yard line and probably score either a FG or TD.

As for the fumble call, it's all on Hochuli. He had the benefit of replay and still made the wrong call. His explanation is insulting. Instead of the Saints having the ball deep in Vikings territory after the return, the Vikings keep the ball and score a FG before halftime. That's two legitimate scoring opportunities taken away from the Saints by absolutely terrible calls. If that doesn't affect the outcome of a 3 point game, I don't know what does.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:13 am 

26ISTHEMAN wrote:
As a Saints fan
As for the fumble call, it's all on Hochuli. He had the benefit of replay and still made the wrong call. His explanation is insulting. Instead of the Saints having the ball deep in Vikings territory after the return, the Vikings keep the ball and score a FG before halftime. That's two legitimate scoring opportunities taken away from the Saints by absolutely terrible calls. If that doesn't affect the outcome of a 3 point game, I don't know what does.

As for the Fumble Call ---> it was a good call by the Referee Ed Hochuli. You can easily see the ball in the players hand when the his knee hit the ground & than the ball fell out.

Becky

Post Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:28 am 

Even if the Peterson fumble was reversed since the whistle had blown the announcers said the ball would be returned to the spot of the fumble the return would not have counted.

Chris

Post Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:38 am 

You make a great point, cball. The whistle should never have blown. It is a point of emphasis with referees to not blow the whistle prematurely. Hochuli blew the whistle prematurely in the San Diego game, and you saw the uproar. Can you imagine the reaction if he would have ruled it a fumble, but because of a premature whistle, placed the ball back at the spot of the fumble? He wasn't going there again. The result: say it wasn't a fumble and concoct a bogus explanation that the player's hand was still on the ball even though it was coming out.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:40 am 

You are right the whistle should have never blown because if with replay you can always put the time back on the clock.

Chris

Post Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:02 am 

what about the helmet to helmet git on billy miller that was a missed call also! so the refs missed a lot of calls that were in the favor of the vikings! if those few calls were made thee right way the saints win by 6to 14 points instead of losing by 3! bottom line

Post Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:24 am 

OMG What if this... What if that... We would have won. Fire Ed! Jeez people get over it.

Teams worth their salt win! They overcome adversity, including bad calls. Period.

Nobody, with the possible exception of Pacman Jones, is under more scrutiny than Ed Hochuli. He made a bad decision in the Chargers game, but owned up to it, followed the letter of the rulebook and apologized. I for one consider Ed a role model for his integrity through this whole mess.

I watched the Saints game. They had their opportunities beyond the drives effected by these calls. They didn't get it done.

I for one hope Ed remains a referee in the NFL for a very long time.

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed