Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
NFL85.com Message Forum • View topic - Can't win for losing
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed

Post subject: Can't win for losing
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:01 pm 

Ed's team can't win for losing.

In an obviously easy call on the field, Reggie Bush has his helmet turned at least 90 degrees if not more, and has the ball punched out, and the team has the nerve to call that a fumble. No penalty unbelievably.

Seems to me one of the 7 people had to have seen it. I know it is not Ed's call, but Sean payton asked for them to gather and see if it was indeed a fask mask.

They gather, and no one saw it. I am not sure which official should have seen it, but it was so obvious, you would think at least 3 or more would ahve seen it.

Whose call was it? The line judge?

Did anyone else see the play? Do you think like I do that was one that quite easy to call?

Post subject: Re: Can't win for losing
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:26 pm 

I did see the play....things happen so fast, with the benefit of the replay it's easy to see. It's not on Ed, but unfortunately, that's what everyone seems to want to talk about. Cornheiser even made a stupid analogy comment with "his" fantasy football ref team that he was dropping Ed. Just ridiculous! Ed's still #1 in my books.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:40 pm 

mrbowling300 wrote:
I did see the play....things happen so fast, with the benefit of the replay it's easy to see. It's not on Ed, but unfortunately, that's what everyone seems to want to talk about. Cornheiser even made a stupid analogy comment with "his" fantasy football ref team that he was dropping Ed. Just ridiculous! Ed's still #1 in my books.

I know it was not Ed's call. It was pretty obvious, and I didn't need the replay to see, but the replay showed how easy a call it was though.

My question is it the linesmen, the Headlinemen's call?

Of couse Ed had a great chance for a make up call, on a replay later, but Ed being the good ref he is called it straight, though, me being one for fairness and not always stickler for the rules, I would have called Peterson's play a fumble, and it all would even, and that is what the fans want, one missed call each way = a wash.

When the miss calls go one way that is when people complain.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:15 am 

The line judge should have seen it too, but it's definitely a call Hochuli missed as well. Look here:

How can anyone pretend that he couldn't see Bush's head spinning around? The guy is making huge mistakes every week and needs to be removed from NFL games, at least temporarily.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:44 am 

How that facemask was missed is beyond me. I'd also like a better explanation of the Peterson "fumble" and what constitutes possession. It looked to me that the ball was "loose" before the knee hit the ground. Also, what about a personal foul for the Vikings DB leading with the helmet in the fourth quarter?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:50 am 

^^ I agree totally not just cause im a saints fan but how you miss the holding on the play ferrotte threw that lucky touch down but you call it the other way when bush ran for 10+yards it just seems like to me no calls were against vikes and all the ones that killed drives for the saints were called !!?? it should have been a personal foul for the helmet to helmet hit no doubt but let it would have been on the other foot we would have gotten called for it! and the last pass interference call berrian grabbed kaesverharn and pulled him to the ground! and the last pass that was intercepted clearly sharper pushed henderson out of contention of catching that ball! but o well im getting used to the saintS no matter how good we are getting the short end of calls and games in general!!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:46 am 

The leading with the helmet play in the fourth quarter was not Ed's call. I am not saying that anyone said it was Ed's fault just pointing out that the call was not his to make.

Chris

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:46 am 

Collin wrote:
The line judge should have seen it too, but it's definitely a call Hochuli missed as well. Look here:

How can anyone pretend that he couldn't see Bush's head spinning around? The guy is making huge mistakes every week and needs to be removed from NFL games, at least temporarily.

SO let me see if I got this straight, you expect Ed to be able to see through Bush to the facemask in front of him? Good grief do you realize how stupid that comment is? Turning the head is not illegal, grabbing and turning the mask is, but from a White hat's position you can't possibly see where the hand is. NO WAY he can call that without guessing as to why Bush's head is turned.

YOU HAVE TO SEE A PENALTY TO CALL ONE!!!!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:13 pm 

lawdog wrote:
Collin wrote:

SO let me see if I got this straight, you expect Ed to be able to see through Bush to the facemask in front of him? Good grief do you realize how stupid that comment is? Turning the head is not illegal, grabbing and turning the mask is, but from a White hat's position you can't possibly see where the hand is. NO WAY he can call that without guessing as to why Bush's head is turned.

YOU HAVE TO SEE A PENALTY TO CALL ONE!!!!

It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to guess as much as the head turned that something on the helmet was grabbed. it was still the Leadlinesmen's call, and he didn't make it. I would love to hear his explanation.

I do think that just like the coaches have to face the press after every game the team of officials should too. Most of the time we would have no questions, but when we do, it would be good to hear an answer. We would like to understand the game better, and would like to know if we did the same thing that was done, is it going to be called or not.

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed