Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed

Post subject: Lending my support
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:27 am 

Ed- Just wanted to send you a note to let you know for every negative comment, there are 100 people that support you! Everybody makes a mistake now and then- you admitted it like a man and you learned from it, and that's all you need. No more apologies are needed- DON'T take time off to dwell on it. Get right back on the horse and continue what you've been doing very well for 19 years. When you watch a Hochuli-officiated game, you know it's in control.

On a different scale (but poignant), I made one of the worst calls I've ever seen during my first HS varsity baseball game on a simple groundout to first- when the 1B went to throw it around the diamond, the ball slipped out of his hand and I called him safe and just FROZE. Of course the manager was hyper-pissed (eventually that runner and one more scored), but after the inning I told him that if I had that play 10,000 more times, I'd call him out 10,000 times. Even though I had already called 600+ games, after that game I told the Umpire-in Chief that I was quitting. He told me that I was good and that it was an an anomaly, and he told me to work the very next day and I reluctantly did. It turns out that I earned respect by admitting the error, and I never had a problem with that coach again. Six years later, I remember that play when I take the field. I learned to delay my mechanic until I was 100% sure about a call. Although I really screwed that call up, IT MADE ME A BETTER MAN AND A BETTER OFFICIAL.

You might say the NFL needs you out there. You might say the fans need you out there. Your fellow officials need you out there. Above all else, YOU need you out there. See you Sunday.

Utmost Regards,
Ted H.
Liitle Rock, Arkansas

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed