Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed

Post subject: Shake it off!
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:06 am 

Ed,

I am a youth soccer coach and referee.
I currently coach a Under 15 year old team. Last weekend one of MY players scored on our goal. I left him in waiting for his head to come up and when it did not after 2 or 3 minutes, I subbed him.
I put both hands on his shoulders and asked him why he was pulled from the game. He looked down and said, "because I messed up". I told him "No because that was done, you were doing the right things when it happened, in the correct position and moving in the right direction, the ball just came off your foot wrong. I pulled you because your head was down and you were out of it." I told him, "Everybody makes mistakes, the great ones put it behind them and go make up for it. Get some water and let me know when you are ready to put it behind you and go play again. We need you IN the game not out of it." When he looked me in the eye and let me know he was ready to play I sent him back in.

So Ed,
Everybody makes mistakes, the great ones put it behind them and go play again. The game needs you IN the game not out of it. Let us know you have put it behind you by reporting to work this weekend, I'll be looking for you!

CoachAl

Post subject: Re: Shake it off!
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:38 am 

Ed, I am a High School football official in Texas. I work in the Hosuton Chapter. Tommy Moore is our Executive Secretary. Tommy is the replay official on Mike Carrey's crew. The inadvertant whistle is the worst feeling for a football official. Keep your head up.
You are a great official.. When I go to games now, I watch the officials more than the game sometimes.

Mike Lantz
Angleton,TX

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed