Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
NFL85.com Message Forum • View topic - Ed, Please Do the Honorable Thing
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed

Post subject: Re: Ed, Please Do the Honorable Thing
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:56 am 

Don1256 wrote:
Ed, everyone makes mistakes......everyone. I understand that you are truly devastated by this latest incident. However, the honorable thing at this point would be for you to voluntarily sit down for a couple of weeks and reflect upon the events that have happened.

Time is relative, esp. in situations like this. He's 'reflected' far more than a couple of weeks' worth, already. And he'll continue to do so for some time to come. I'm sure we all have mistakes that still haunt us sometimes, it's the same thing, but worse for his character type.

The truly "honorable" things to do have already been done, except for one, which is coming up this weekend, thank goodness. And that's getting back on the field with a new game and getting past this, like any good official would and should do.

Now, we as fans need to do the same thing and move on.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:03 am 

Ed, just wanted to put in my two cents worth. The "honorable thing" is to not sit out a couple weeks but to return to the field with the same expertise, class, dignity and style you've brought to the NFL for years. So you blew a call, even an important one. You've made countless thousands of others correctly and will continue to do so. No Charger fans are outraged--we all know calls are part of the game and there were many opportunities for San Diego to win long before that play. Get your whistle out and get ready to continue the excellent work we NFL fans have taken for granted for years...

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:15 am 

Ed: I'm sure you appreciate all of the comments. You are the classiest Ref in the league. You are a professional, very well liked by anyone involved in the sport and officiating. The one thing that I have noticed that others don't seem to realize - you followed the rule, whistle blows, play dead. Your integrity over rode your devastation when you were required to stick by your ruling. Mr. Turner should realize that. I am disappointed in Mr. Turner for his comment, "...unaceptable..." There are many times when coaches, players, etc., make a mistake that may change the outcome of a play or a game, but the games go on. Please, please show the players, coaches, owners, your loving family and all of us fans that you are the man you are, and will continue to be the excellent ref you are. I will look for the games you and your team work, and I will watch them, no matter which teams are playing. You and your team have "fans" and I truly wish that you were not down graded or heaven forbid that your job status would change. Then I will correspond to some others. See you at the next game!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:31 am 

You are really an IDIOT to post something of this nature. Why would he sit out a few games? This is the best ref in the league knuckle head!! It's people like you that sit around and complain about everything and have these brilliant ideas that makes no sense...Dummy!!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:30 pm 

Don1256....I disagree with what you suggest but I do have to say this....you should not say sorry for your opinion. You are entitled to what you want to say and I respect what you have said. I don't think he should sit, the best thing is for him to get back out there and not re-hash this for a few weeks just sitting around....that is my opinion. I respect what you said but in my opinion, you should never say you are sorry for your educated opinion. Just a thought.

-PJ

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:35 pm 

Don1256 wrote:
Give the guy a break? Come on. While I don't disagree with alot of what you said concerning the Chargers and how they played, I have to disagree with "just going on from here". I know that the NFL has downgraded Ed at this point. I am not even in favor of that. Downgrading can ultimately costing Ed his job and I don't think anyone should lose their job over a mistake. I think Ed needs time to reflect upon this error, take some time off and then go from there.

To your point Don, yes downgrading can cost Ed his job. But here's another interesting point that people keep missing in their blind mission to defend Ed : his mistake could a) be the difference between a team making the playoffs or not b) cost Norv Turner his job and c) if the Chargers make the playoffs, may cost them home field.

So, while it seems harsh to you that he may be downgraded, he and the crew that he was in charge of made two giant mistakes that ultimately cost the Chargers the game. And to the people that say that if the Chargers had done more to stop the Broncos they would have won the game, you're correct. There's no arguing that the defense was awful in the first half. But should the Chargers really have to play to beat the Broncos and the officiating crew?

And to answer the same question that people keep asking, "Haven't you ever made a mistake at your job?" Absolutely. And when I made a mistake that caused my company money or had a devastating effect on productivity, I was sat down and talked to and the conversation was documented so that it wouldn't happen again. I wasn't rewarded for my error and they didn't send me off to the Super Bowl for my mistakes.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:32 pm 

Stripe,

The SD defense was sitting down and contemplating, that's why Cutler and Co. ate them up for 486 yards and; when the game was on the line, made 3rd down, 4th down and 2 pt. conversion 1-2-3.

Don't blame Ed.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:52 pm 

Mrjoshua...you stated Mr. Hochuli made "two giant mistakes"...you think he was the reason the replay was not working? Yes, the Chargers got robbed on that one...that should have not been a fumble but that had nothing to do with any official on the field...they called it like they saw it and that is why there is replay...and it was not Ed that called that. There was a crack within the motherboard cd upstairs. If that is what you are talking about then you are terribly wrong. Even the head of officiating, Mike P. (no idea ho to spell his last name so excuse me on that one) has said that it was the leagues error and they have gone to every stadium and tested all the replay units so that will not happen again. If that is not what you are referring to, I would like to know what his other "giant mistake" was?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:09 pm 

I appreciate all of the replys to my posting. I suppose it's just difficult for me to accept the notion that this is another case where "you admit your mistake and move on". The fact of the matter is that referees in professional sports have a very limited number of mistakes they are allowed to make. Players and coaches get to make more mistakes, thats just the nature of how things are in pro sports. No one goes to sporting events to see the refs in action and it is unacceptable when their call (or lack thereof) directly affects the outcome of the game. The refs / umps that do the games are there to know the rules and get the call right. That's it. Think of this when you say it's only one game.......That "one game" represents 7% of the total number of games that San Diego will play this year......7% of their season. Every game, every game is precious. I am not trying to attack Mr. Hochuli or at all diminish his fine career but to me to have a call like this directly affect the outcome of a game is just unacceptable and should be unacceptalbe to all fans of the NFL.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:35 pm 

The scary thing is...you're serious (or you just wanted a lot of people to answer your post by writing something negative). It's laughable, really. How many times have games been decided by a refs decision? You act like this is a new thing in sports. Let me clue you in...it happens in every game. National championships get taken away for a bogus interference call; on a forward pass that is ruled a fumble because replay wasn't working. You have humans in sports and as long as you have that you will have refs influencing games. How many holding penalties have been missed which allowed TD's? THAT influences games. How many times have DB's interfered with receivers to keep that winning TD and the refs have missed it. Get over it or quit watching sports and quit calling for this ludicrous idea of Ed sitting out. Why don't you go watch the NBA, I hear the refs in that league don't influence games at all...

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:48 pm 

You're right. It is unacceptable. It's also unacceptable that a player would toss the ball away before reaching the goal line and giving away a touchdown. But more time is spent blasting a referee. At least his actions were unintentional. And even if he did "rob" San Diego and "gave" Denver 6 points (which he didn't because Denver still had to put the ball into the endzone), how do you explain all the other points San Diego gave up? Here's how; THEY GOT BEAT! And to say they have to play the other team AND the officials is the most stupid thing ever said. If the San Diego defens and coaching staff made as few mistake as the officiating crew, they'd have won the game easily.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:28 pm 

Don1256 wrote:
The problem is that this is a sport that demands top performance by the players, by the coaches, and by the refs. If there are refs that aren't able to do this, they have no business being out there.

Have you ever seen an NFL game? I'm going to say you haven't, because if you have, there is no way you could say this. The NFL might as well be disbanded, because by your criteria, there is nobody qualified to play, coach, or officiate the sport. By your criteria, the Chargers deserved to lose, because their players didn't play a perfect game. But then again, the Broncos didn't deserve to win either. Welcome to the new NFL, where every game, by rule, will be declared a tie!!! Are you suggesting a quarterback should be released for throwing one interception? Or a safety should be benched for allowing one completion to the receiver he is supposed to cover? A coach fired for losing one game? Those suggestions are ridiculous, but how is Ed's situation different?

Obviously, Ed screwed up. He's taken responsibility for his mistake. It sucks for the Chargers, but to suggest that Ed should be benched or fired for this one mistake is a bit overkill. Who do you suggest the league replaces him with? Is there a better NFL referee out there? The way Ed has handled himself in the aftermath of this whole thing is proof in my mind that he takes his job seriously and is indeed the best guy to have out there every week.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:33 am 

Stripe: Your theory is badly flawed, every call the officials make has an affect on the outcome of a game. If a rule is broken and a ref sees it the flag is thrown and the team is penalized, no question. In this case the quarterback fumbled the ball, no question, the ref made a mistake by blowing his wistle to stop the play, thus the fumble was dead before the Charger recovered the ball. This mistake at that time in the game was huge! Yes, they did get in the end zone twice to beat the Chargers in the end, but if the correct call was made at that time who knows, it just puts a blackeye on the whole game. I know the Broncos do not want to win that way and neither do the Chargers. Ed is a very good ref, but no ref is perfect, the Bronco's may lose a game or two this year because of a missed call, it all evens out in the end.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:09 am 

I understand. But every call the coach makes, every tackle, catch, fumble, interception, etc. also directly effects the outcome of the game. It's just that nobody wants them executed when they ^%$# up!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:22 pm 

I guess we are beating a dead horse, the refs that continue to make glaring mistakes will get weeded out. Ed knows this and I think the bad refs should get booted out for a few games if they continue to make bad calls. Overall "I love football season!" Go CHARGERS! :D

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed