Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed

Post subject: Criticism vs. Support
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:23 pm 

While this is my first post here I've visited this site a decent handful of times before the happenings of the past week. I'm glad to hear about the support Ed has received recently after the ridiculous amount of criticism. Yes, a mistake was made, it's been admitted to. But when a receiver drops a ball or if there is a fumble, etc. there isn't this much criticism, posting of e-mails and cellphones, etc.

This was getting to the point of bordering on Scott Norwood in Super Bowl XXV or something of that nature. As has been mentioned, there is a human element in sports and mistakes are made. Where a person's character shows through is that they can admit their mistakes and will work on ways to ensure they do not happen again. I found Norv Turner's post-game comments were unfair. We all know coaches certainly make mistakes, and Norv Turner must have a decent number of them considering he hasn't been able to hold a regular head coaching gig in the NFL. If a player or referee constantly makes mistakes, their employment comes into question - but one mistake is chalked up to human element of the game.

People who sent nasty e-mails and phone calls to Ed should be ashamed of themselves. How would you feel if you got busted for speeding or running a red light, and had complete strangers calling you at home to give you grief over it? Yes, we know sports fans are passionate but there is a line you don't cross, and those people crossed it!

Ed Hochuli has EARNED the respect of the players, coaches, fans, executives, media. etc around the National Football League for his work over the years and will continue to do so. To me his officiating career has raised him to one level, the way he has dealt with this situation that he's taken responsibility for what happened and feels bad for it, rather than just blaming someone else, raises his stock so much more in my books.

There is a human element in sports, and always will be. If fans cannot accept that and just want robots playing robots with robots officiating them, then please just stick to playing Madden! :D

Post subject: Re: Criticism vs. Support
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:13 pm 

:D Kudos I couldn't agree more with what you said.
Jann

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed