Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
NFL85.com Message Forum • View topic - Mr. Hochuli -- If you only read ONE post, this is the ONE
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed

Post subject: Mr. Hochuli -- If you only read ONE post, this is the ONE
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:31 am 

While many American Football Fans across the United States and across the globe feel that referees are robots that are not allowed to ever make mistakes, I would like to put their unrealistic expectations to rest. You see, NFL officials, NBA referees, MLB umpires and any Youth League refs are all humans. Just like the very athletes that we support and cheer for, officials are people. As a big fan of the human race, it is important that we understand that even the greatest players have off-games. Michael Jordan didn't shoot 100% from the field, Joe Montana had his fair share of interceptions and Nolan Ryan gave up a lot of homers. But, as fans of these icons, did we start writing hate mail after one bad game...or nonetheless...after one bad play? Of course not, and Ed Hochuli should be given the same amount of respect as the icons that we have worshiped, praised, prayed for and idolized.

What many people do not understand is that Ed Hochuli isn't running up and down the football field in hopes of one team scoring or another team committing a penalty. He is out there so that recliner-star QBs like you and me can relive our wildest fantasies every Sunday. Without men like Ed Hochuli, we don't have two minute drives in the Super Bowl for the go-ahead touchdown and we certainly do not have the smiles on our faces when our team achieves a victory. Without men like Ed Hochuli, we do not wake up on a Sunday with a grin on our faces because our favorite team is in town and we have tickets for the entire family. Without men like Ed Hochuli, football doesn't exist. Somebody with intelligence and personal fitness has to run up and down the sidelines so we can sit back and get nacho cheese all over our shirt as we drink another beer.

And, honestly...when was the last time you got reprimanded. Yes you...the average joe that is reading this blog. Can you think of a time when you did something wrong at work and your boss called you into his or her office? How did that make you feel? Maybe it was justified and maybe it wasn't...but whatever you did to deserve the tongue lashing you got...do you think you did it on purpose? After getting reprimanded, did you think about how your boss never recognizes the many great things that you do at work? Do you feel under-appreciated? Well, multiply that feeling by infinity and then think about the times that you've emailed a referee to tell him what a great job he did. I bet NONE of us can think of a time that you did that. So, why on earth would anybody interfere with the life of another human being that performs such an unglorified SERVICE to us as Ed? Ed Hochuli is the most underappreciated man in the world and we should embrace him for his service to us.

So, the next time you grab that remote and think about throwing it across the room because you feel that the call made on the football field, the basketball court or the baseball diamond (no offense soccer fans for being left out of this argument, but we like to see the official game time kept on the scoreboard...and we like black and white rules, not red and yellow cards)...remember that ANYBODY can try out to be a referee for these sports. Get off of your butt and get in shape and train to be an official if you think you can do a better job. Referees are beings that make bad calls because they are humans. Stand up and embrace them. Praise them for the job that they do. And, Ed Hocuhuli...I salute you for the years of service that you have brought to the NFL, and to me.

Post subject: Re: Mr. Hochuli -- If you only read ONE post, this is the ONE
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:18 am 

well said...I couldn't agree with you more!!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:23 am 

Nicely put. Not everyone can be a "Jerry Markbreit" either, but Ed's pretty close.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:01 pm 

Great post. I TOTALLY agree!

I live in Denver and I was shocked as anyone at what happened. But Hochuli explained the call clearly, and then followed the rulebook. That is very admirable.

As many people have said, San Diego could have stopped Denver right there, on the 10. But they didn't.

Keep up the good work Ed - you're a man of integrity. I hope to see you officiating soon.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:16 pm 

VERY WELL SAID...I APPLAUD EVERY SINGLE HONEST AND SINCERE WORD....

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:47 pm 

Mr. Hochuli,

I think you do a fantastic job. Even better when you made a mistake as all humans do, you owned it. I look forward to using this example to teach my children how an honest and respectible person acts.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:50 pm 

OUTSTANDING!!!

I suspect Mr. Hochuli has already read your post; but I hope millions of others do as well.

I already had a ton of respect for Ed Hochuli before Sunday, but his actions from the time he realized he had made a mistake have catapulted my respect for him into the stratosphere. A man of total integrity. If only everyone would strive to emulate you, Ed.

Thanks for your dedicated work in every game you've been involved in...and I mean EVERY GAME. And I look forward to seeing you back out on that field again this week and many weeks/years to come.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:55 pm 

This is a great post. While I think that certain doctors and teachers and firefighters etc are perhaps more under-appreciated than NFL officials, this guy totally has a point. A single glaring mistake is unfortunate but Mr. Hochuli's career will no doubt continue to be a shining example of what an impartial, intelligent, physically fit, honorable referee should be.

I love watching games he refs. He explains his calls and helps me understand the game better. I hope he gets a standing O when he walks onto the field this Sunday in Baltimore.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:20 pm 

Very well said. i too hope that whatever game Ed officiates this week the fans stand an applaude him as I know I will from my living room.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:31 pm 

good post. Very well said.True the Chargers could have stopped the Broncos on the 10 like they already had. Up to the last drive the Chargers had shut out the Broncos all of the second half. I will not cry over spilled milk anylonger but I still stand by my belief that the game was stolen from the Chargers.
One question for the Bronco fans. What possessed your head coach to go for two points at the end? Yes it worked and he looks like he made the best call.But the percentage was not for him. If the Broncos end up not making the two point conversion he would have bene on the hot seat. It would have been much wiser (and safer) for him to go for the tie and see what would have happened in over time. But i guess he knew his team wss out of luck and he did not want to see what could have happened in over time.
Go Chargers.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:38 pm 

mr toda wrote:
good post. Very well said.True the Chargers could have stopped the Broncos on the 10 like they already had. Up to the last drive the Chargers had shut out the Broncos all of the second half. I will not cry over spilled milk anylonger but I still stand by my belief that the game was stolen from the Chargers.
One question for the Bronco fans. What possessed your head coach to go for two points at the end? Yes it worked and he looks like he made the best call.But the percentage was not for him. If the Broncos end up not making the two point conversion he would have bene on the hot seat. It would have been much wiser (and safer) for him to go for the tie and see what would have happened in over time. But i guess he knew his team wss out of luck and he did not want to see what could have happened in over time.
Go Chargers.

Maybe the Chargers did get robbed. But does it matter anymore? Will complaining change the final score? The sooner you, as a fan, get over it, the happier you'll be. Every team has been "robbed" of games. It happens.

And yeah, I still don't understand Shanahan's thought process. Since they made it, he's a genius. If they missed, the fans in Denver would be demanding his blood. (or at least his job)

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:07 am 

kingbob wrote:
Maybe the Chargers did get robbed. But does it matter anymore? Will complaining change the final score? The sooner you, as a fan, get over it, the happier you'll be. Every team has been "robbed" of games. It happens.

The fact that it happens doesn't make it acceptable. Replay had to be instituted because officials were screwing up too much, and that was before one actually caused a team to lose a game. Without Ed Hochuli, the Chargers win. It's just that simple.

Moreover, everyone knows that referees are human and will make mistakes. People aren't demanding that Ed Hochuli be perfect, just that he doesn't make monumental screwups that cost teams a game they'd actually won. If a quarterback just has to kneel to win the game and he instead decides that it would be funny to toss the ball to the other team, fans are going to call for that quarterback to get fired too. Plus Hochuli is making big mistakes every single week now. A player's performance eventually declines to the point that they shouldn't be playing anymore. The same thing applies to referees, and right now Ed Hochuli should not be employed by the NFL.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:00 am 

THE SAINTS BEEN GETTING ROBBED EVER SINCE THEY HAVE BEEN IN THE LEAGUE WHEN ARE WE GONNA GET A BREAK? :evil:

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:48 am 

Collin wrote:
kingbob wrote:

The fact that it happens doesn't make it acceptable. Replay had to be instituted because officials were screwing up too much, and that was before one actually caused a team to lose a game. Without Ed Hochuli, the Chargers win. It's just that simple.

Moreover, everyone knows that referees are human and will make mistakes. People aren't demanding that Ed Hochuli be perfect, just that he doesn't make monumental screwups that cost teams a game they'd actually won. If a quarterback just has to kneel to win the game and he instead decides that it would be funny to toss the ball to the other team, fans are going to call for that quarterback to get fired too. Plus Hochuli is making big mistakes every single week now. A player's performance eventually declines to the point that they shouldn't be playing anymore. The same thing applies to referees, and right now Ed Hochuli should not be employed by the NFL.

How many mistakes does it take to get fired? He is an NFL referee. There is not a life depending on the call that he makes. Find someone better to do the job.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:15 pm 

I think the media may lead to the downfall of one of the best referees in pro football.m It's a shame.

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed