Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/nfl85/www/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
NFL85.com Message Forum • View topic - He's a good ref??
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed

Post subject: He's a good ref??
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:53 am 

I read here how good of a referee Hochuli is. what is so special about him? as far as i'm concerned he's no better or worse than any other ref in nfl or college football.
Like my user name says, i've been dealing with refs making bad calls all my life, be it when i played youth ball or highschool, coaching football, and watching my favorite teams get crapped on by bad calls.
this just takes the cake. how can you defend a call like sunday's game changer?

I think its time Mr. Ed gives up officiating. step down and give someone that needs a good paying job a chance. Hochuli is a lawyer, he doesnt need the paycheck from the nfl. the way I see it, he's greedy, that makes me sick to my stomach. if he loves being a ref, then do college, HS or pop warner, not the nfl where calls like this mean so much.

you say; "oh, everyone makes professional mistakes" yeah, they do, and they pay dearly fo it.

Post subject: Re: He's a good ref??
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:29 pm 

no replies??

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:46 pm 

You want a reply? You got it. If every ref who ever made a mistake took your advice and "gave up officiating" there would be no refs left. It's not just the fact that he owned up to the mistake but it's also about his past officiating record and that he is a man of integrity. I don't expect you to change your mind but perhaps you can understand that when people do make mistakes, giving up is not always the best solution.

Post subject: Re: He's a good ref?-Yes a Very Good Referee
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:49 pm 

Reason why NFL Referee Ed Hochuli #85 is a GREAT Referee:

His Record in Officiating Playoff & Super Bowl Games:

Wild Card Games - 4

Divisional Games - 5

NFC/AFC Championship Games - 4

Two Super Bowl Games - XXXII & XXXVIII

Note: When Ed Hochuli Officiated Super Bowl XXXII he also did a Wildcard Game.
Note: When Ed Hochuli Officiated Super Bowl XXXVIII he also officiated a Divisional Game.
NFL Referee Association - Board of Directors - 1995 - Present

NFL Referee Association PREZ - 1999-2001

I think Ed's Record speaks for itself.

Becky - #1 Fan of Ed Hochuli in Texas & Since 1994

Last edited by Becky10 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

dealing-w/refs4ever wrote:
you say; "oh, everyone makes professional mistakes" yeah, they do, and they pay dearly fo it.

How many of these "professional mistakes" have led to ACTUAL DEATH THREATS????
I'm sorry, I don't want to rehash what's gone on in Ed's life since Sunday evening. So, I'll leave you with; You kinda missed the boat on this one. Sunday night and all day Monday were "bash on Ed" days, Tuesday was..... we'll call it 50/50, and now we've topped the summit, and we're "rebuilding the man". So, in essence, we have come full circle. Break a man down, then build him back up.....Stronger.

I'm sorry you missed it, but, as the saying goes, "you snooze, you looze." (I know... lose)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:09 pm 

I read here how good of a referee Hochuli is. what is so special about him? as far as i'm concerned he's no better or worse than any other ref in nfl or college football.
Like my user name says, i've been dealing with refs making bad calls all my life, be it when i played youth ball or highschool, coaching football, and watching my favorite teams get crapped on by bad calls.

I think its time Mr. Ed gives up officiating. step down and give someone that needs a good paying job a chance. Hochuli is a lawyer, he doesnt need the paycheck from the nfl. the way I see it, he's greedy, that makes me sick to my stomach. if he loves being a ref, then do college, HS or pop warner, not the nfl where calls like this mean so much.

You want to condemn a man for making a mistake? WOW - I hope you never make a mistake in your life. Good Luck with that.
What exactly do you do? Do you spend a minimum of 12 hours a day at your 1st job only to put in 6 or 7 more on your second job? How dare you tell someone who has dedicated most of his life to his jobs that he needs to retire because he made a mistake.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:52 pm 

no replies??

Hi dealing-w/refs4ever,

You have your replies :!:

Becky

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:52 am 

I work 48 hour shifts...come work a shift with me and let me see if you make a mistake. To accuse someone's character without knowing a thing about him is really kind of pathetic.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:04 am 

It is almost a waste of my time to respond to your post...but sometimes ignorance deserves an awakening.

Since you're so angry, it is justified to come to the conclusion that you're a Chargers fan. So, I ask you this...since LT is not having such a stellar season, should he retire? Are you going to determine his worthiness of putting on the jersey because of ONE PLAY? Of course not, moron. What you fail to realize is that anybody can "have a bad day"...or maybe just "a bad call." If LT fumbles, does that make him a failure? If Rivers throws an interception, should we ship him off to Miami? Of course not. Your justification for your "retirement" theory is way off-base and has no credible merit whatsoever.

Referees are not robots, they're humans. Humans make mistakes. It's a fact of life. If you were driving your car and you missed a turn, would you pull over and hand the keys to your wife and tell her that you're never driving again? Of course not, moron.

And, if you don't like it...DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Get off of your butt and train and get out there and become an NFL official. Mr. Hochuli doesn't call NFL games because he "needs" the money...he does it because he has passion for it. From the ignorance that you portrayed in your post, it sounds like you COULD use the money.

In closing, I encourage you to seek your passion in life. I realize that officiating NFL games may be too lofty of a goal for somebody like yourself. However, I do encourage you to continue to fill out and send as many job applications as you can...because with a little luck you might just get a job!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:02 am 

All of us who have been watching football for years know what kind of Ref Ed is. I am thankful when he refs the games I am watching because I know he will call the best game. All the man did was blow the whistle because the saw the play as an Incomplete pass. He reviewed it, found he had made the wrong call and owned up to it. I bet most would not have handled it that way. I applaud you Mr. Hochuli! IKeep up the good work!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:12 am 

Ed is one of the best referees in the NFL. He gets it right, and his explanation of why the decisions are made the way they are, is clear and concise.
Now as to the latest controversy. Ed admits that he made a mistake. No hiding behind mumbo-jumbo, no "judgement is final" garbage, nothing like that. This is just one more reason why he is held in such high esteem by the league, the players, and the public. He's a real "stand up" guy. Period. He is also human, just like the rest of us. Only he (or she) who is totally without sin may cast the first stone. Anybody who claims that they never made a mistake on something iumportant is either lying, self-deluding, or has never been in that position. In any case those people are certainly NOT qualified to judge Ed. We all know how bad Ed feels about this... We all should also know that given his feelings, Ed will strive to never, ever make that kind of a mistake ever again. That's what makes him great in my book. When he retires, he deserves a place in Canton - for his humanity!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:16 am 

I am joining the long list of supporters for Ed Hochuli. I have watched many games that he has called and they're always called fairly and to the best of his abilities. You have to make a quick decision out there and when you make a mistake, you make a mistake - you're HUMAN. San Diego had many opportunities to win that game, including stopping Denver on the ensuing plays after the botched call so they (and Head Coach Norv Turner) need to stop their whining and work on winning.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:41 am 

- so far all anyone has said was he made a mistake, hes human, - and bashed me.

I know people make mistakes. and you are right he shouldnt give up that was dumb of me to say. BUT, when someone that has an important job costs some company or someone potentally millions of dollars they usually get let go.

you could say "its only a game" in HS or college ball a call like that is just a mistake. to the chargers, it could cost them plenty in the end.

oh, and you say if a certain player fumbles or thows an INT its no big deal. well maybe not, in the course of the game, but if that fumble costs them the game, rest asured that player in question will pay one way or another.

whats with this part of the forum anyway? hes a darn ref. not some type of hero. please, make a forum about someone that truely deserves it
I just want him to get off his high horse and take what he has coming, if anything. probably what amounts to is a slap on the wrist.

and no, i am not a chargers fan, i am just trying to see how you all try to defend him. you can thank yahoo and the media for bringing this to my and millions of other peoples attention.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:52 am 

If you do not like this forum and this site, why are you on it and saying what you initially said then replying? If you do not like it or do not agree, then be gone and go to another site. I don't understand your thinking. If you want attention, that is one thing. If you are on here just to question the site, then leave and find something you would enjoy. I don't see how that is a difficult choice.

If you want a particular forum, then why don't you do it? Nobody is tying your hands...if you want a site that suits you, only you can do it. Again, I do not understand why you have said the things you have said. You can do what you want to do in this country and be grateful, everyday! It is not exactly a secret how to make a website.

Also your comment about people making millions and if they make a mistake and they are let go.....if they are making millions, trust me, they are not let go. If a person was making $9 an hour, yes, you would be correct...that person would most likely be let go but even that is not for certain..but millions...REALLY? I did not know Ed made a million dolalrs a year. I thought he did what he loved to do, be a lawyer and ref football games...if you love what you do, money does not matter. There are alot more important things in life than money. Ed has more character in his pinky than you do in your mind.

In addition, you deserve to be "bashed" as you put it. If you are a fan of TEAM sports, then you would know one play in the course of 3-4 hours does not dictate how a game is won or lost. Do I need to question the Chargers defense? Actually, this is a waste of my time. I question your thought process.

Post subject: Re: He's a good ref?? - Hochuli working Charger Games
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:51 pm 

Ed Hochuli working Charger games - 2007-2008

2007 Games:

Week #2 2007 Regular Season:

Chargers VS Patriots - Officiated this game very well. This is the one where Ed Hochuli said -- "The Defender Was just Overpowered"

Week # 13 2007 Regular Season

Chargers VS Chiefs - Another well Officiated Game in the very cold Stadium.

Playoff - Wildcard Game - 2007

Titans VS Chargers - Very well done officiated game. This was the game where LT of the Chargers Jumped several times over the offensive & defensive players(NO Whistle) to get a touchdown to PUT the Chargers Ahead.

2008 Games

Preseason 2008 Week #3

Seahawks VS Chargers - Great officiated Game & Ed Hochuli's Crew had to go from a Sunday Night game to go Officiate a Thursday night Preseason game.

I have not heard any peep out of the Charger Fans & Press when Ed Hochuli Officiated these games in the past year.

--- NFL Referee #85 is the Best @ what he does :!:

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Everything Ed