Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Announcements

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: **Quick Update, and Thank You**
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

"I am very humbled by the number of people who have come to my defense. Very humbled, indeed."

These are words from Ed. I don't know what happened overnight, but, OH WOW. I decided to close my laptop Tuesday evening because I realized I had been neglecting my wife and 2 girls. Wednesday morning I woke up (4 am, PT) to a couple emails of support. Ok, that's great. Then a few more emails of support to pass on to Ed, awesome. Then, by lunch time I was getting 20 an hour. Unbelievable, and then I start to wonder what's going on so I login to this site. I couldn't believe the support I was seeing. I can't begin to tell you how proud I was feeling about what I was witnessing. Post after post after post was supporting the 'old man'. This afternoon has just been simply heartwarming. All I can say is THANK YOU! And, this is just me.

As I spend the afternoon passing on emails to my dad, I sit here thinking, "If I'm getting this many emails and responses, how many is Ed receiving?" Almost like "clockwork", I get an email from him, "Pretty surprising article in the San Diego Union." with this attachment; http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/su ... livan.html At about the same time, I get a heads-up from my sister in law about the article and responses on yahoo; http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl,108018 (4000 comments at the time) Wow, what a turn of events. I sent an email to my dad letting him know I was having trouble keeping up with all the emails, and I had to upgrade my account with the web service to keep up with all the action on nfl85.com.

Some time around 3:00, I get another email from Ed. "I've received over 5,000 emails of support today, and it's totally locked up my blackberry. Therefore, you won't be able to reach me by phone today. We're trying to find a solution." We're caught in a whirlwind of some sort. Unbelievable (which kinda became the theme for the day). Then around 6:00, I'm picking up dinner for my family, and get another email on my BB, "6000 emails just today. Unbelievable."

I can't even begin to tell you the gratitude.......
I responded to his email around 6:00 with, "You should be very proud of this response, it shows the impact you have made, not only as an Official, but more importantly as a person." That's when I got back, "I am very humbled by the number of people who have come to my defense. Very humbled, indeed."

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
I hope you all realize how utterly heartwarming this is.
Thank you!!!

Post subject: Re: Quick Update, and Thank You
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

I have passed along so many fantastic emails of support. I'm sure the senders won't mind if I paraphrase a bit.

I've passed on numerous emails from Teachers that have said they used this incident as a learning tool for their class. Trying to teach their classes about "owning up to a mistake". Here's a guy that made a mistake, on arguably one of the largest stages, and what did he do, he said he made a mistake. Wow, what a message for today's youth.

I've passed on emails from a few ex-NFL players. They've been kind enough to take the time to send emails in support. Who better to know how fast the game is, and how difficult a job it is to be "right" every time, than an NFL player. Here's a quote from one of them that says it all, "We are all human beings FIRST and foremost before we're anything else, and to make a fraction of a second judgment call and be right 70% of the time is AMAZING! These guys are batting 95-100% in a season" Thank you, thank you. Simply unbelievable!

One of, if not the most, heartwarming story that put it all in perspective, "This may sound corny, but my 11 month old daughter saw a very pissed off daddy on the couch that day and laid her head down against to comfort me and try to give me a hug. It was so touching to me as a new dad that it put things into perspective instantly. It's just a game." That, right there, says it all. Just put that image in your mind for one moment. Amazing, words can not describe.

I've passed on emails of request for appearance at graduations.

I've passed on emails of support from people living in Texas, Louisiana, and other areas effected from the recent Hurricane season. You've got to be kidding me that these people are willing to take time out of their day of clean up to send an email to my dad.
Again, unbelievable. I truly wish everyone living in these areas all the best. Here they are wondering if loved ones, friends, and neighbors are ok, and they take the time to send an email to an NFL Official. What an impact.

I've passed on emails from anyone, and everyone you can imagine. They have all been outstanding. Even the simple, "get em' this week", has been exactly what the doctor ordered.

Thank you!!!

Post subject: Re: Quick Update, and Thank You
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

I know I've already said it several times, but Thank You, it has been an unbelievable day. (see, there's that word again)

I have no doubt that Ed will be around these parts in the near future to pass along his sincere gratitude for the support that has been displayed.

I hope you all understand how HUGE this has been.

Thank you.

UNBELIEVABLE :D :D :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Ed Hochuli and Officiating » Announcements